Thursday, September 14, 2006

(The Real) Deal Or No Deal!

Hey guys I’m sure y’all are interested to find out if we are now rich (like Dave Chappelle)? Well champs… read and find out! LOL!


Once upon a time there where two people called Dorica and Ndu… It was a warm March evening, when Ndu’s favourite show came on. Ndu wished he could be on that show and even told Dorica how he was almost on it but had an exam on the day of the audition so couldn’t make it. That is when the penny dropped. Just because I had missed the opportunity didn’t mean that I couldn’t seek it again, didn’t mean I couldn’t live the dream. So with that Dorica and I jumped on the computer and set on our quest, the quest to be on Deal or No Deal!

Now the actual process for applying was quite easy. All we did was get on to the website and apply! Simple huh!?! (LOL) But the wait was long… then, Tuesday 25th of July we saw the light at the end of the tunnel! After four months of waiting and four months of sceptical comments from Miss Mushambi… we got our audition. At this point we were also allowed to bring friends along to audition. That is when Carol (because she was Dot’s tail) and Linton (because we tight like that) join the picture. Linton and I blew the audition out of the water (well, Lint flirted with the chick that interviewed us), we murdered that item! We knew for sure that our spotlight was gonna shine on us and soon! The interview process was fun, I remember some of the discussions we had where some people were concealing their age (Carol), and others had trouble remembering the craziest think they’ve ever done (Dot)! There are other things that can’t be repeated but yeah even just the interview process was one to remember.

Then… the call came in a week before the shoot! I remember being in a bad mood that day and I almost didn’t pick up the phone because I didn’t recognise the number but something told me to pick it up... It was one of the producers of the show. As usual, he had trouble pronouncing my name but I didn’t care, he was offering us a once in a lifetime opportunity to be $200000 richer literally over night. The date of our destiny was revealed… the 12th of September 2006. Suddenly I forgot I was in a bad mood and for some reason the sun seemed to shine brighter and warmer, all my worries melted away. Was that to be the date I’ll forever remember as the day I could afford my drop top 645i BMW (add that to my birthday wish list)? Without delay, as soon as that phone conversation was over I called Lint and Dot to let them know that the day of reckoning was nigh… I forgot some people were at work but I didn’t care, the good news had to be spread.

I don’t know about the others but I spent the week figuring out what I would buy with that dough (and how my tithes would be a bit more impressive (LOL)). We even started figuring out how we would split the money between us… We (I) came up with a cool but fair system. 40, 30, 30. 40% would go to the person who opened the cases, and 30 each to the others and if people guessed what was in their cases successfully they would keep the money even if it was a mega guess. If you don’t know what I’m talking about then watch the show sometime! Our game plan was tight. And there was a chance that the money would only be split in two because someone was having trouble getting time off work and was reluctant to call in sick… Oh well you’d all be happy to know that all three of us ended up going and all potential winnings would be split in three...

Finally the day came! I got up early, I didn’t want to miss our 8.45am curtain call so I was up at 6. I nervously got ready putting on a white shirt that I had ‘ironed’ the night before and some tan coloured formal pants. I was dressed to kill. So the plan was to go by train to the city from my house so I had to go pick up Dot and Lint then we’d leave together. So I rocked up at Lint’s house first and to my surprise he was wearing the exact same thing as I was… The only difference, I was wearing black shoes and he was wearing white… (Can you handle?) But time was not on our side so changing of clothes could not be done. As you can understand Dot found it thoroughly funny, when we picked her up, that we were wearing the same clothes. Lint and I had to put up with jokes the whole day and not only from Dot but random people too. Next time dress coordination has to be discussed. Anyway we finally got to the channel 7 studio in Southbank.

Now we waited anxiously, signing forms and putting on name tags. I bumped into Karen someone I know but hadn’t seen in a long time so it was cool to see and catch up with her. We must have waited an hour (well it felt like that) before they let us into the studio. Wow our time had come. To back track, during the day they were gonna shoot five shows through out the day. So we had a one in five chance of making it on to the show… Anyway back to the studio. We entered the studio and that is when it finally hit me that this was real! We were really gonna be on an Australian television show! The set was so small compared to what it looks like on TV. It was still really flashy with high-tech cameras and big TV screens etc. It was tight!

Once we were all seated they showed us a short video on the do’s and don’ts. Basically it was like don’t be boring and always be lively. But from the crowd that was there, no one needed encouraging to be lively, everyone was excited and there was a huge buzz in the studio. We met the producers who were really cool. They were there the whole time telling jokes and interacting with the crowd. Even during filming they were standing around literally doing their own thing. It was really cool! Lint was long distance flirting with the girl holding bag number 6… Ya, we caught him in the act so he can't deny it! The actual filming process is like done in five minute blocks. They were so many breaks that it took about an hour per show but it didn’t feel like that. The host Andrew O’Keefe was so funny and really connected with the crowd! (He was wearing $8000 shoes – just needed to let everyone know) Just the experience for me was worth it! The money would be a huge bonus but just the experience of it happening before your eyes was worth it alone!

The first show came and went and they were now randomly selecting the next block to play in the next game. Wow to our surprise it was us!!! I was so, so excited that I picked up Dorica with one hand and dragged her across the block to hug Linton with the other! I’ve warned you guys so don’t be shocked when you see something like that on TV… (LOL) We had made it on to the podium, we were close to winning real money. I was so nervous (as you’ll see on the show), my hands were sweaty and I could barely stand! If I were I girl it would be one of those moments of continuous, uncontrollable screaming, but since I’m a guy, I internalised it and suffered for it! Time came for us to answer questions to actually play for the money… the first question was about Dracula so we were cool, then came the second question… what a wreck! They asked about cats. What self respecting black person knows anything about cats? All three of us got that question wrong. The next question didn’t matter coz we knew we had just tanked! We were still happy coz we stood to win $500 each or if one of us were given a mega guess could have won $10000. Lint was holding case number 3 I had case number 5 and Dot had case number 6 (I think that’s right). Unfortunately none of us guessed right but to my credit I was the closest (LOL).

Our dreams for big cash on the 12th of September died! We left without the money but we left with an experience none of us will ever forget! We even had a brief encounter with Andrew O’Keefe afterwards, he even touched my shoulder (on purpose), so I’m never gonna wash my white shirt (LOL)… Carol you should have been there with us! With that we happily left the studio to have some free snacks (with salt – ask Dot about that). Outside the sun was still shining brightly and so were our moods! We decided to go celebrate and have lunch on the Southbank (there is another blog from that coming soon…)! And that was our Deal or no deal experience! We don’t have any of our own photos coz Dot thought it would be funny to bring a camera with no battery! Unfortunately we wont be able to let you know when the show will be aired, they only tell that to the people who actually win some money, so keep your eyes peeled every Monday to Friday at 5.30pm only on Channel Seven.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ya come thru!! i was about to harrass you about that one!!

Anonymous said...

So well written Ndu i cant remember having that great a time... lol. Just kidding :-) it was all great fun except the being dragged across the block... but yeah mann it was awesome. Andrew was funny as... the producers were so into it there is no way you could sit there and not catch the vibe.

You should have seen Lint and Ndu it was such a crack up... was think jeezz guys did you call each other up and say " how do white shirt and beige pants sound?" or was it more like

Ndu :- ahhh Lint bra we need to go shoppin for the deal or no deal item

Lint:- For sure Ndu we have to be looking tyte lets go to Knox 16.00 tomorrow

Ndu:- Deal

16.00 hours at knox...after shopping a while

Lint:- Ndu are you thinking wat i'm thinking...

Ndu:- Yes, i think i'm thinking what u are thinking..

Ndu & Lint:-lets match!!!

Guys sorry but truth is no deal!!!lol... well you know wat they say great minds think a like and fools seldom differ... i wonder which catergory y'alls fall in!! Food for thought huh..lol

I'm starting to get ready for the next season... i believe that at some point in time i am going to walk away from a great experience with some ca$hola....

Ndu i had no idea just how pumped u were for deal or no deal...lol come thru bra.

Anonymous said...

hahaha ndu u are such a story teller, i enjoyed reading this one!! ctg...ok ill now add my 5 cents...or since im now backin england, perhaps my 5p hehehe

yes yes, i remember the audtion haha i had forgotten that others were nearly believing that i was 19 hehe yes the auditon was a good one....i believe thats also the same night y'all met james blake hehehe

so ya clearly others were excited about the deal orno deal item...well ndu, i must confess even tho i wasnt the one goin on tv i was excited too, when i heard the news i was kinda jumpin up and down... i know

and as for splitting the cashola (as dot wld say)....i think u forgot me out of the equation!!! i helped yal get on the show and wat do i get in return??? TRAITORS!!! hehehe

as for the matching clothes,dottie, i couldnt hav said it better myself,ill hav to ditto u!! lol!

and yr lil stunt wen yallz were called to play, all i can say is gwashness!! why u gotta embaress like that huh??we still love u guys at least u warned pple so they arent shocked!!

and as for the question on cats, ya man, i so hear u!!!

well come thru pple!!! wat an experience...and how much is channel 7 payin u for advertisin their show ndu hehe well if it comes on tv whoever sees the show,please record and send me the tape........

Fiona said...

Hey Ndu, was the question about cats as in the animal or Cats as in the musical?

Ndumiso M said...

It was cats, as in the animals!
LOL!