Monday, October 30, 2006

Under Construction


From a very young age I considered myself a “Christian”. I even accepted Christ as Saviour a long time ago! I can honestly say that I’ve loved Jesus since I was about 10 or even younger! But I didn’t have any victory, growth and progress in my life! In fact I backslid so badly that I think I got unsaved, if that is even possible.

And then almost a year ago (end of November) I realised that something was missing in my life. I needed more from what I had. I knew that God loved me and that even though I lived in sin He still came through for me in very impossible situations. What I was missing was victory. I wasn’t living in the strength and power that comes with victory and conquering sin through the guidance of the Holy Spirit!

This year God has moved in my life in leaps and bounds! I found what was missing in the equation for real success in life! Lordship! I had God in my life but I didn’t do what He called me to do! Its sad how many people go through life living like I did, honestly thinking that God is happy with the way I was living! The truth is He is not! He still loves us but we hurt Him and disappoint Him when we live like this.

At the point where I was, let’s say a month ago, with my walk with Christ I thought I was almost there! Almost where God wants me or has called me to be in terms of my commitment to Him! But I realised that I’ve still got a long way to go! Jesus calls us to take up our cross and follow Him daily! He also calls us to sell all our possessions and follow Him. Now what is meant by possessions is not your car, your house or mobile phone, even though that may be the case! It is rather the things of the world that you hold dear to you that stop you from fully following Jesus Christ!

Last week I got convicted! And convicted HARD! Simba, Chax, Zii and I were studying. We were hitting an all nighter when we started talking about music and its effect on people (now that is another blog in itself). Then we got on to the subject of laying things down that slow us down in our Walk! That is when it came to me that the music I listen to, most of it does not glorify God in anyway and rather talks of things of the devil, like lust, violence and other immoral things. But here is the thing, I love music so much! I have over 8000 songs in my iPod. God has called me to delete ALL the songs there that He doesn’t want me listening to and that is probably 7000 songs gone! It has to be done though! It is only through following Christ and doing what He says do we experience true power and victory!

God had also called me to quit my job! The funny thing about this is that God has been giving me hints all along the way that it’s time I gave it up. I really stopped enjoying work and had a million excuses why I didn’t enjoy it and why I should quit. Then during the same conversation with the boys, I realised the real reason I wanted out. I was putting myself in totally Godless places. And to tie it in with the music thing… some of the music I played just didn’t appeal to my spirit and yet I was feeding people this empty garbage! Some of the functions I’ve done are simply immoral to say the least. For instance a few months ago I did a singles party where people “hook up” and in most instances go home with each other. I can see why God doesn’t want me to see or be part of these things! They lead people astray and they really take away from me, spiritually! The money from this job was more than excellent! Working just two nights a week took care of expenses and then some! But I know because I’m doing what God wants me to do that financially I’ll be great without this job! In any case I’m graduating soon so I might as well start looking for a real job.

Anyway, the point of all this is that even though I’ve grown so much spiritually I am still under construction, we all fall short of the glory of God. No matter how much I grow spiritually there is always and will always be room for growth and improvement! We all are under construction and will be until we return to the Father! We have to realise that there are things that are part of the construction process and that includes selling your possessions. What are the things of the world that are slowing down your construction process? Ask God to reveal what they are to you! It will save you a lot of time and pain later because God always gets His way! Even if He has to make you walk around in the dessert for 40 years when actually the journey could have taken you days!

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Excellent stuff Ndumi! Every week that passes I have the privelege of seeing you become more and more the man God has called you to be. You are STRONG! Super strong!

Let you convictions become the example you live. I love that you are not forcing your convictions upon others but rather leading by example and thus allowing your actions to be what convicts them.